· We encourage all new children to visit the school prior to starting.
· We can create ‘social stories’ with/for the children if transition is likely to prove challenging as well as photo booklets of key staff and areas of the school.
· For children starting in Year 3, the Headteacher holds a meeting for parents in addition to planning a series of visits for children throughout the second half of the Summer Term, in order to help children, parents and staff get to know each other.
· A transition form is sent to all pre-schools and other schools prior to children transferring to Gayton. The Headteacher/Teachers and SENCO will visit settings where it is felt there is a need
· We liaise closely with the staff when receiving and transferring children to and from different schools, ensuring all relevant paperwork is passed on and all needs are discussed and understood.
· If your child has complex needs, then an IEP or EHCP review will be used as a transition planning meeting to which we will invite staff from both schools.
· Transition between year groups and key stages within the school will be dealt with as part of our annual programme of transition and handover to the next class teacher.
· At any point where a child with SEND is preparing to leave our school, we would seek to arrange additional visits for the child in question to support smooth transition. Many secondary schools also run programmes specifically tailored to aid transition for the more vulnerable pupils at the end of the primary stage of education.