Subject Access Requests

You can ask for copies of information that we hold about you or a pupil who you have parental responsibility for or are a parent of at school. The Subject Access Request process is set out separately. You need to fill out the form, and you may need to provide identification evidence for us to process the request.

As an organisation, we collect and process data about individuals. We explain what information we collect, and why in our Privacy Notices.

Any individual, or person with parental responsibility, or young person with sufficient capacity to make a request is entitled to ask what information is held. Copies of the information shall also be made available on request. A form to complete is available. Please download the form for request a paper copy from the school website.

To ensure that requests are dealt with in an effective and timely manner we may seek to clarify the terms of a request.

To collate and manage requests we have designated Mrs Jules Hardisty, our School Business Manager to co-ordinate all requests.

Evidence of their identity, on the basis of the information set out and the signature on the identity must be cross-checked to that on the application form. Discretion about employees and persons known to the school may be applicable but if ID evidence is not required an explanation must be provided by school staff and signed and dated accordingly.

Exemptions to a SAR exist and may include:

  • Education, Health, Social Work records
  • Examination marks and scripts
  • Safeguarding records
  • Special educational needs
  • Parental records and reports
  • Legal advice and proceedings
  • Adoption and Court records and/or reports
  • Regulatory activity and official requests e.g. DfE statistical information
  • National security, Crime and taxation
  • Journalism, literature and art
  • Research history, and statistics
  • Confidential references

All data subjects have the right to:

  • know what information is held
  • know who holds this information
  • know why this information is held
  • know what the retention period is for this information
  • know that each data subject has rights. Consent can be withdrawn at any time (to some things).
  • request rectification, erasure or to limit or stop processing
  • complain

Many of these questions will be answered within the Privacy Notices or the Retention Policy on the website.

The information will be provided in an electronic format, usually within one calendar month of the request. However in some circumstances, for example the school is closed for holidays, this may be extended by up to another calendar month.

We have to provide the information within a month, but this can be extended if, for example, the school was closed for holidays. The maximum extension is up to two months.

When we receive a request we may ask you to be more specific about the information that you require: this is to refine any queries to make sure you access what you need, rather than sometimes getting a lot of information that may not be relevant to your query.

In some cases, we cannot share all information we hold on file if there are contractual, legal or regulatory reasons.

We cannot release information provided by a third party without their consent, or in some cases you may be better to approach them directly, e.g. school nurses who are employed by the NHS.

We will supply the information in an electronic form.

If you wish to complain about the process, please see our Complaints Policy.

If you wish to make a request for information, please download the request form by clicking here or requesting a paper copy from the school office. At Gayton, our Data Protection Officer is John Walker. If you wish to make a request, please submit your form to the school office and we will be in touch.