The DfE Handbook recognises three core functions of the Governing Board:
- Overseeing the financial performance of the school and making sure its money is well spent;
- Holding the headteacher to account for the educational performance of the school and its pupils;
- Ensuring clarity of vision, ethos and strategic direction.
We will do this by:
- Scrutiny of monitoring sheets and discussion of forecasts for spending; expenditure priorities arising from Health and Safety reports, property maintenance and the operation of the School Development Plan; discussion of staffing decisions; ensuring benchmarking information is used to ensure efficient use of the budget; checking that income from Pupil Premium and the Sports Grant is used in line with guidelines with measurable positive outcomes for children.
- Monitoring the provision of a broad range of educational experiences; scrutinising provision for SEND, disadvantaged and Gifted and Talented pupils; checking using data and pupil and parent surveys, that all pupils make expected, or better than expected, progress; using information about the curriculum and experiences provided for the children.
- Reviewing the School Development Plan and the Self-Evaluation Form in the light of our aims and vision; receiving regular reports and updates from the Headteacher or first hand through subject leaders and Governor visits.
Our Objectives for 2017-18
- Ensure we have a full Governing Board with appropriate expertise for their designated roles and, in particular, to appoint at least one Governor to the board with experience of financial management and develop a succession strategy for the role of Chair and Vice Chair.
- Engage more closely with the issues surrounding indoctrination and the Prevent Strategy and access further training in these areas from external sources.
- Gather information on academisation and the work of local MATs as a prelude to a possible academisation of the school in the future.