The DfE Handbook recognises three core functions of the Governing Board:
- Overseeing the financial performance of the school and making sure its money is well spent;
- Holding the headteacher to account for the educational performance of the school and its pupils;
- Ensuring clarity of vision, ethos and strategic direction.
We will do this by:
- Scrutiny of monitoring sheets and discussion of forecasts for spending; expenditure priorities arising from Health and Safety reports, property maintenance and the operation of the School Development Plan; discussion of staffing decisions; ensuring benchmarking information is used to ensure efficient use of the budget; checking that income from Pupil Premium and the Sports Grant is used in line with guidelines with measurable positive outcomes for children.
- Monitoring the provision of a broad range of educational experiences; scrutinising provision for SEND, disadvantaged and Gifted and Talented pupils; checking using data and pupil and parent surveys, that all pupils make expected, or better than expected, progress; using information about the curriculum and experiences provided for the children.
- Reviewing the School Development Plan and the Self-Evaluation Form in the light of our aims and vision; receiving regular reports and updates from the Headteacher or first hand through subject leaders and Governor visits.
Objectives for 2016-17
- Recruit new governors to ensure we have a full Governing Board;
- Develop a succession strategy for the chair and vice chair;
- Engage more closely with the issues surrounding indoctrination and the Prevent strategy;
- Access external expertise more efficiently;
- Further develop links between Gayton and local infant and secondary schools.